Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 02:41:31PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

>  >	HELP: I notice that /etc/news/leafnode/config and even /etc/news
>  >	      are here owned by news.news. Which is odd, because those
>  >	      arn't things the programs should be editing on the fly. What
>  >	      gives?

> The package is buggy.

The package would like the configuration file to be readable by a
program that is running as user news without being world readable since
it may contain passwords in plain text.  The group news could probably
go, though.

In the Leafnode package /etc/news is owned by root.root, so I don't know
where the news.news there came from.