Re: exploring debian's users and groups

Quoting Wichert Akkerman (wichert@wiggy.net):
> Previously Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> > Adding them to 'dialout' should be sufficient.
> Bzzt, wrong. People in group dialout can access the serial port, but
> they can't read the files with the dialin information such as chatscripts
> that are needed.
'it is used so that unprivileged users can be added to the group dialout and
be able to use the modem devices'.
I was not talking about chatscripts, ppp or whatever; adding a user to the
'dialout' group is sufficient to be able to use the modem devices.
(Bzzt, right)

> > > I imagine similarly, although I don't use fax from this box.
> > Similar to 'dialout' indeed.
> Wrong again, giving access to the serial port is quite different from
> allowing someone to only send/receive faxes. Compare it with allowing
> people to use malloc and allowing people to manually tweak the kernel VM
> structures. One is a good idea, the other is not.
Here you're right though ;)

Greets,
	Robert

--