Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On 01-08-07 Joey Hess wrote:
[...]

Here are some more users and groups that I found on my system. I'll try
to comment them a bit maybe the maintainer of the packages that they
belong to or someone else can add some more informatiom:

User:
-=-=-

junkbust:

 This user will be created by the junkbuster package and the daemon will
 be run under this userid. I don't think this user owns any file on the
 system.

identd:

 Hm, it has been created by some software on my system, but I have no
 idea where it came from and what's the purpose is.

bsmtp:

 That one seems to be created by the bsmtp package, but no idea what the
 purpose of it is.

fetchmail:

 This daemon is created by the fetchmail package and used, when a
 fetchmail is started during bootup. That way the usage of root for
 fetching mail is avoided.

User and Group:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

scanlogd:

 This user and group are created by the scanlogd package and doesn't own
 any files. They are only created for the purpose of running scanlogd
 with an user account instead of root.

Group:
-=-=-=

lpadmin:

 This group is created by cupsys, but I don't see why. Would anyone mind
 to add an explanation for this?

Christian

--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)