Re: Proposal: new alternatives links

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 11:25:07AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have additional alternatives symlinks.  Thinks like
> "editor" or "x-window-manager" are nice, and we could have more of them.
> The following list contain things that I see as usefull (this is not a
> proposal for policy changes, only a possible arrangement for the
> future):
>
> html-browser
> x-html-browser
>
> x-editor
> x-pager
>
> mua
> x-mua
> news-reader
> x-news-reader
>
> pic-viewer
> x-pic-viewer
>
> rec-wave
> x-rec-wave
> play-wave
> x-play-wave
> (etc. for midi, mp3, ogg, video formats)
>
> mixer
> x-mixer

You're going about all of these the wrong way.

The prefix "x-" in "x-window-manager" and "x-terminal-emulator" doesn't
mean, "oh nifty, it brings up pretty pictures in a GUI", it means "it
speaks the X protocol".  Stop and consider for a moment why we don't have
"window-manager" and "terminal-emulator" alternatives.

Because consoles already emulate terminals and don't require window
management.

Most of the things you enumerate above are far better handled by MIME
implementations.  The exceptions I can see are "x-editor", which shouldn't
be needed anyway because editors should fall back to text mode if they
can't talk to $DISPLAY, and "mixer" which doesn't actually handle data, but
is really just a wrapper around a bunch of ioctl()s.

Even then, it may be too soon to fool with a "mixer" alternative because of
the many different and incompatible ways of talking to sound hardware (OSS
interface, ALSA, esd, etc.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It's like I have a shotgun in my
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mouth, I've got my finger on the