Re: packages in .deb not installed !?!

From: Richard A Nelson <cowboy@debian.org>
Subject: packages in .deb not installed !?!
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:51:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Sigh... don't know if this is contibuting to my other problem
> (not being able to install some packages) or not...
>
> I'm installing a local copy of sendmail, and several files that
> it contains (aparently all under /etc/) are not missing...
(snip)
> I've verified that the files are indeed in the .deb, with the expected
> attributes, sizes, etc.
>
> Something is amiss... anyone seen anything like this before ?

I am not sure but they are all conffiles and when conffiles
of a package are lost by accident then only installing a package
again does not install conffiles, at least in some cases.

It might help to purge (not remove!) a package first and then
install a package again, that is,

# dpkg --force-depends --purge sendmail
# dpkg -i sendmail_*.deb

I hope this will help you ...