Re: [Debian account] I request your attention

Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:

> Dear fellow debian hackers and everybody related to new maintainer process,
>
> I am still waiting for a debian account, it has been more than 6 months, or
> perhaps 7 months since I have been approved by AM now. I have informed the
> DAM and my AM of the situation in case they have not been able to check the
> current situation on nm.debian.org[*] but I have not received any response
> from them.

This is the same complaint that surfaces on debian-devel quite often, and
not always from Eray. As a counter-example to Eray's, my AM took a month to
get to me (I can forgive that). Once he made the initial contact, my account
was created within about 5 days. This was in November 2000. I can provide a
more recent example of an applicant taking less than 14 days to go from
application to account creation during the same time that Eray has been
waiting for DAM Approval.

This vast difference between the amount of time different applicants spend
waiting for DAM approval makes me wonder about the process (hidden from
public view) that occurs between AM approval and account creation. So now I
have a whole bunch of questions that I'd *really* like to see answers to.

1) What exactly are the details of the process labelled "DAM Approval" on
the NM status pages?

2) Why does this process take vastly different amounts of time for different
applicants?

3) If something is holding the process up for some applicants, why is there
no feedback to those applicants who are waiting?

4) http://www.debian.org/intro/organization says there's just one person
who's a member of the DAM group: James Troup. However,
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint#DAMan says that Martin (Joey)
Schulze is also a DAM. Which is correct?

5) Is/Are the DAM(s) simply swamped and catching up on a backlog?
5a) If the answer to 5) is "yes", why aren't there more DAMs?
5b) If the answer to 5) is "yes", how do some applicants skip the queue?

6) If there is no explanation for some applicants being held up on DAM
Approval, that implies that the DAM(s) aren't fulfilling their
responsibilities. How can it be determined whether the DAM(s) really are
fulfilling their responsibilities?
6a) Exactly what are the DAM(s) responsibilities?

7) http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint#DAMan states that the DAM(s)
are delegates appointed by the DPL. The position of DAM doesn't seem to be
explicitly mentioned in the Constitution. Exactly what authority is a DAM
given when appointed?

8) If it is determined that the DAM(s) are not fulfilling their
responsibilities or are overstepping or abusing their authority, what
further steps should be taken?
8a) Are there actions to take that are less drastic than the DPL replacing
the DAM(s)?

9) If the purpose of the DPL delegating account creation is "to avoid
concentration of power, particularly over membership as a Developer, in the
hands of the Project Leader" (Debian Constitution, section 8.1), shouldn't
there be more than one person (or maybe even more than two) with that power?
9a) Since the position of DAM seems to be quite powerful, should it be
formally recognised and defined in the Constitution?

Notes:

This message is not intended to be inflammatory, merely a request for
further information. Inflammatory responses will be either deleted or picked
apart and ridiculed, depending on their quality and my mood.

Explanations, constructive comments and reasoned arguments are most welcome.
Pointers to places where I can find more information are also welcome.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |