Re: new package: changetrack

"Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

> From the description on the website, this sounds like a neat tool.
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:01:36PM +0200, Jens Peter Secher wrote:

> > I have debianised the *changetrack* script.  Anyone else working on
> > the same thing?  Excerpts from control and copyright files:

> I don't know of anyone working on the same thing.  I have a very
> *simple* script that does something similar.  See
>
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0107/msg01583.html
>
> I expect that changetrack is much more flexible.  But it also seems
> heavier in that it requires perl, and rcs.
>
> I guess you have used changetrack?  For config files in /etc or for

Yes, I have used it on /etc files.

> other stuff?  If for /etc, do you think that RCS has some value over
> simply saving copies using "logrotate"?

Well, apart from the obvious (that you can revert to /any/ prior
version), I would personally prefer to rely on *RCS* because it is
well-tested.  But if you absolutely do not want to depend on *RCS*,
you can force *changetrack* not to use it.  I will work on getting
such things done automatically by the package; that is, if *RCS* is
not present, do not use it, etc.  That would remove *RCS* from the
dependency list.

The benefit of using *logrotate* is that you get automatic garbage
collection...

You can check out the package at
ftp://ftp.diku.dk/diku/users/jpsecher/ .  It needs a sponsor
(See http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/sponsor/)

Cheers,
--
Jens Peter Secher - http://www.diku.dk/~jpsecher - GnuPG:1024D/04379F48