Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:59:55PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:04:50PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > But you can translated 'names' the same way. Make a table with the
> > corerct spelling and translated this too.
>
> And where do you want to keep the table with correct spellings?
> My idea was to keep it in original Packages, in utf-8 encoding

This is IMHO no problem.

one 'Maintainer:' with only ascii and one optional 'Maintainer-utf'
with utf-8 encoding.

a lot of Packages don't need Maintainer-uft and the Maintainer-utf
will be small.

I don't see a problem. And a package frontend (like gnome-apt,
dselect) can use it.

a technical question:
  the utf-8 encoding can transform in other encodings without
  problems, right?

Gruss
Grisu
"Fuer die einen ist es Windows - für die anderen der laengste Virus der Welt..."