pam_group.so

Hello,

I set up the pam module a while ago (and I thought it was working
too... Could I have been mistaken?) to give users who log in via gdm
or text mode console access to these groups: floopy, audio, and cdrom.

So, users who log in locally get access to these devices, but users
who never get access to the local console don't get access to these
devices (of course, a limitation is that users who log in locally can
get access to these groups even when they later log in remotely, but I
am not too concerned about that issue).

However, in the most recent versions of unstable, it doesn't work :-(,
and I can't work it why. My /etc/security/group.conf contains:

gdm;    *;      user1|user2|user3; Al0000-2400;floppy, audio, cdrom
login;  vc*;    user1|user2|user3; Al0000-2400;floppy, audio, cdrom

I have tried replacing the first field with a *, tried other things,
tried moving the reference to pam_group.so in /etc/pam.d/{gdm,login},
but nothing seems to do anything. Nothing gets logged either.

I log in, and don't become members of those groups.

Any ideas?

How do I debug pam_group.so?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>