RE: Oracle 8.1.6, 8.1.7 on Debian

Hello ..

Oracle 9i (9.0.1) supports glibc-2.2.x.... To get it running under
Debian (and RedHat 7.1 for that matter), you just need to temporarily
replace your ld with a stock v2.10 and then replace it back after you
install (or install, ignore all the link errors, and then replace it,
relink all, and then put your old one back) ... I kinda recall from the
forms on technet that the newer ld's have some compatibility thing in
them which the newer oracle can't link against (they try to keep up ..
But they just can't totally get it right:) ..

Another option is to install 8i under Potato, and then copy it over to a
woody box ... That works too.. And compiling anything for oracle (DBI,
PHP, etc...) work fine .. Also with the stubs, they just go into
$ORACLE_HOME/lib .. So as long as you don't reference those when linking
your apps you should be ok (as long as your apps are linked shared)

I've recently upgraded my database from 8.1.7 to 9.0.1 without a problem
.. Btw..

If your just now going to install Oracle, 9i seems to be pretty good and
stable ..

Just my 2c ..

-Terry

me and makes me worry about building things like >DBD::Oracle, php4,
etc. Can someone enlighten me?  What would be the "Debian way" to solve
this problem?

>BTW I would really like to see Debian become one of Oracle's supported
distros, does anyone know if that will ever happen?