Re: DFSG-compatible alternative to xfonts-scalable-nonfree?

>> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

 > My understanding is that inventor requires TrueType fonts.

 Yes, there are two options: use the binary-only Type1 (?) font loader
 or use the wrapper for freetype.  What Inventor wants are the font
 outlines, not the rendered bitmaps, that's why it doesn't use the
 normal X font mechanism (can you query the X server for font outlines?
 AFAIK the answer is no, enlightment welcomed).  I think vflib supports
 application.

 > Sure, you don't need the fonts if the inventor application or scene
 > file doesn't have any text in it.  But if you _do_ try to open one
 > (e.g. jackInTheBox.iv), ivview will coredump :-/

 Oh, *that*'s why Jack in the Box causes Inventor to coredump... duh.

--
Marcelo             | "Actors," said Granny, witheringly. "As if the world
mmagallo@debian.org | weren't full of enough history without inventing more."