Re: packages without .md5sums file?

Previously Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The point I am trying to make is, that self-generating the checksums
> introduces a single point of failure, my system.

That system is a point of failure anyway since it could corrupt things
when installing them or miscalculate the checksum of the installed file
when you compare them.

> Also, the checksums can be verified by lintian, the upload queue daemons,
> dinstall, mirrors, CD creators and all users individually, so they will get a
> thorough checking.

But they do check checksums! They check the MD5 sum which guaranteers the
package is correct. We also have the internal gzip checksums which will
catch corrupted files.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |