Re: Base System release critical bug status II

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:33:14PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
> > 	db2 106082 open grave
> > 	db2 106663 open grave
> > 		db2 not backwards compatible, breaks potato packages on
> > 		partial upgrades
> Should this one really be grave? Upgrading potato-->woody means
> upgrading to db2. So a partial upgrade with some old packages
> still depending on an old db shouldn't be possible in a normal
> dist-upgrade, right?

# apt-get install apt

From a potato system running sendmail will update libc6 and hence libdb2
but not sendmail (due to various dependencies), and since libdb2 in woody
doesn't work with sendmail in potato (the lack of backwards compatibility)
sendmail'll break.

If you do a full upgrade/dist-upgrade, you'll upgrade sendmail too, so you
won't have a problem for very long. But partial upgrades are allowed.

Cheers,
aj