RE: support for multilingual Packages files?

I missed some of the discussion, but isn't there some difference between
selecting an encoding and having many languages (what multilingual means)?

The package description file could be in UTF-8 all the time (ASCII being a
very nice subset of that, so nothing breaks) and then records would be
localized (the same record would appear many times, tagged with locale
information). Then we would say "We require at least an English version of
each field" instead of saying "Use ASCII."

I am sure you discussed that but I missed it. If not, ...

YA