Re: Which directory to use for packagename-doc documentation file s?

Anthony Towns wrote:

> Actually, that's not what I was getting at. I was thinking something
> more like:
>
> 	foo:
> 		/usr/share/doc/foo/
> 			copyright
> 			changelog.gz
> 			README.Debian   "Docs are in foo-doc"
>
> 	bar:
> 		/usr/share/doc/bar/
> 			copyright
> 			changelog.gz
> 			README.Debian	"Docs are in foo-doc"
>
> 	foo-doc:
> 		/usr/share/doc/foo/
> 			html -> ../foo-doc/foo-html
> 		/usr/share/doc/bar/
> 			html -> ../foo-doc/bar-html
> 		/usr/share/doc/foo-doc/
> 			copyright
> 			changelog.gz
> 			foo-html/
> 				index.html
> 			bar-html/
> 				index.html
>
> All this is done in the .deb, no maintainer script hacks needed.

Excellent. (That's what I understood you to mean)

> > 1. What do you do in the case that doc-foo documents > 1 package,
> > possibly none of which are named 'foo' (e.g. tetex-*)?
>
> Seems fine.

To me too.  If the user just installed foo-doc, he'll probably
look at /usr/share/doc/foo-doc/ first.  If it's been there
forver, he might start with /usr/share/doc/foo (even if there's
no actual foo package;  I don't recall offhand that there's no
actual tetex package, so that's where I'd look first.)

> > 2. Purely cosmetic: it would bug me slightly to have a /u/s/d/foo when
> > I haven't installed foo.
>
> You'd have /u/s/d/foo, but you wouldn't have /u/s/d/foo/copyright; and in
> fact everything in /u/s/d/foo would be a symlink. I don't see this being
> much of a problem.

Me too.

> > In particular, I've been briefly disconcerted
> > when I've installed foo-doc w/o foo and found only a copyright and
> > changelog file in /u/s/d/foo-doc.
>
> This wouldn't be an issue.

Right.

> We probably ought to work out what docs actually ought to be split into
> separate packages. Man pages should probably never be split out. .txt.gz
> docs maybe don't need to be, generally. If the docs are available in
> multiple formats, maybe it'd be sensible to split all but one format
> out?

When docs are small, I don't split the package.

When docs are large, I keep man pages and large docs in Info
format in the main package.  I split out the rest (ps, pdf, html)
in foo-doc, or if each format is bigger than about 1 MB, I split
it into foo-ps-doc and foo-html-doc.

Peter