Re: nfs root for boot floppy? or initrd loaded via tftpd?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 08:53:41PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> that's similar to what i've been doing but i used etherboot instead of
> grub. i'm not overjoyed by the limitations of initrd - i'd much rather
> be able to fit all conceivable build/rescue tools on the rootfs.

FWIW, my plan is to put in the initrd just what is needed to access
"supplementary" data (rootfs). That is you need in the initrd just the
modules to drive your NIC card(s).

For the pb with boot-floppies, there are several sources:

kernel not compiled with rootfs support (I don't know)
options to pass to the kernel

> failing that, i'll look into figuring out why boot-floppies whinges
> about being on an nfsroot. i want to do this anyway because it's
> something i think that the boot-floppies *should* be able to do.

I think it would be usefull too.

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/