Re: Shall we state about #17624 dpkg feature(bug?)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:17:45AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Is this mandated in policy somewhere?  I can't find a reference.  If symlinking
> about in package-owned space is supposed to be supported, then there are a lot
> of broken packages in the distribution.  On my system there are some 545
> relative symlinks in /usr alone, excluding /usr/doc.  All of these would be
> broken by replacing various directories with symlinks to directories at a
> different level in the tree.

Symlinks are required to be relative within top-level directories,
and absolute across top level directories. So /usr/blahblahblah ->
/usr/hummdedum needs to be relative, while /usr/blahblahblah ->
/var/hummdedum needs to be absolute. That is in policy somewhere.

It just means you need to add some directory symlinks if you're moving
things around too much, so symlink-for-usr-doc/../share has to be a
symlink to /usr/share.

Cheers,
aj