Re: Smarter handling of generated configuration files

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:29:16AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 08:33:19AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:43:59AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > [1] Using a common template should make it easier to maintain a clear, correct
> > >     and well-translated template for this question.  Currently, debconf shared
> > >     templates must be included in every package that uses them, so this
> > >     attempt is thwarted.  But I hope that debconf could be modified to use
> > >     these common templates in addition to those provided by the package being
> > >     configured.
> >
> > 'We' can add this to "dh_installdebconf" and dh_installdebconf can
> > 'change' the template file (with all translations) like the postrm.
> > This should work without any changes in debconf.
>
> That's an interesting idea.  It could perhaps even detect whether the template
> was needed, and only pull it in if necessary.  However, packages would have to
> be rebuilt against the newer templates in order to get updated, whereas if the
> templates were truly shared, only one package would have to be upgraded and all
> would benefit.  It's analogous to shared/static linking of a library.

yes. But if you use 'normal' shared debconf templates you have the
same problem.

How handle debconf this? (if some packages have a shared template
(like share/news-server) and the template are not equal in the whole
(like spelling errors)) Joey ?

Gruss
Grisu
"Theory means you have ideas; ideology means ideas have you"
							unknown anarchist