Re: Outdated GNU config (config.{sub,guess}) and autotools-dev

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:58:16PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:

> IMHO only badly written autoconf scripts rely on these files.  The whole
> point of autoconf is to identify specific features of a system, rather than
> trying to guess based on the system type.

This is not always true.  For instance, config.guess is used to determine the
CPU type, and so will be used (for example) to determine which assembly
routines should be used.  config.sub will be used to canonicalize a system type
that is passed to configure, e.g. with --host, which is necessary for
cross-compiling, and useful on oddball systems.

> I have some packages that do include config.{sub,guess} files but do not use
> them.  Verifying that took some work, though.  Do you know any way of quickly
> checking if the configure scripts rely on these files?  The easiest I have
> found so far is to delete them and try to build :-)

My guess would be that these files are used by AC_CANONICAL_HOST (and any other
macros which call it).

--
 - mdz