Re: Outdated GNU config (config.{sub,guess}) and autotools-dev

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> You should know what you are doing when you update config.guess and
> config.sub. One example: Upstream of mtools doesn't like "Stallmanisms",

That goes without saying IMHO. This is indeed the reason why I do not want
autobuilders doing automatic "autotools-dev'ification" of packages (or
whatever).  A human is needed to do it properly.

> that means he did a s/linux-gnu/linux/g over config.guess, config.sub and
> configure.in. In this case every copying of config.guess and config.sub
> will give you completely non-working mtools on ARM. That means trying to

mtools upstream is braindamaged? Well, one can route around it: have the
master config.sub/guess (updated from autotools-dev by debian/rules) in
config/, and sed it to the "non-Stallman" version in ./, which is used by
mtools.

BTW, thanks for this interesting trivia. I didn't know someone was THAT much
against "gnu-linux" to do that :)

  Henrique Holschuh