Re: "All packages use debconf"

On 17-Jul-01, 12:47 (CDT), Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Debconf is not compatible with conffiles, and I'd much rather have a
> > good default and a conffile rather than hacked together debconf
> > script asking low priority questions that I will never even see
> > overwriting my changes.
>
> Maybe a good compromise would be to notice that /etc/foo/bar.conf
> already exists, and offer the user the choice of deleting it and
> starting again from the original "bar.conf" distributed with the
> package (perhaps stored as /usr/share/doc/foo/examples/bar.conf).

I think that's a good compromise for packages that need debconf. I think
it's a step backwards for packages that previously used a perfectly good
default conffile, and were debconf'd for no good reason, because before
if I hadn't touched the file, it would be updated with the new settings
transparently, and if I had changed it, dpkg warned me, and gave me a
chance right then to compare, choose, or integrate by hand.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read