Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:12:52PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:38:02 +0200,
> "J\374rgen A. Erhard" <juergen.erhard@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > There was a mail by Akira <don't remember the last name>.  He put his
> > Kanji name even in the From line... and SEMI displayed it quite
> > correctly (and Emacs RMAIL displayed it in the body even with going
> > into the MIME viewer).
>
> Yes, some softwares such as Emacs can display various characters
> in the world in X Window System environment and many Emacs-lisp
> softwares also can.  However, we cannot force people in the world
> to use Emacs in X.
>

> > So, we europeans had such a transition before... I'm glad all that is
> > past us (I hope!).

s/europeans/west europeans/

> You are saying of ISO 646 variants.  It is true that ISO 646 era
> was a confused age and ISO-8859 united the European world.  Similarly,

United????

The main reason I am propagating UTF-8 is the _mess_ there is
with different ISO-8859 codes (which I feel directly)

You cannot exchange documents between west, central, east europe,
balcan, russia, baltics, greece, turkey, malta, iceland because each of these
regions has its own 8859 code, sometimes even two or three, and
sometimes using completely different encoding instead of 8859
as de-facto standard.

Not speaking about (rather successful) Microsoft's effort to push
its own incompatible encodings into the market.