Re: "All packages use debconf"

Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Debconf is not compatible with conffiles, and I'd much rather have a
> > good default and a conffile rather than hacked together debconf
> > script asking low priority questions that I will never even see
> > overwriting my changes.
>
> Maybe a good compromise would be to notice that /etc/foo/bar.conf
> already exists, and offer the user the choice of deleting it and
> starting again from the original "bar.conf" distributed with the
> package (perhaps stored as /usr/share/doc/foo/examples/bar.conf).

     This would be acceptable.  Personally, I don't object to an
interactive install/update.  I would much prefer to have an option to
opt out of debconf entirely, so I can rely on the dpkg conffile
handling and not have to repair my system after each update.  This
would, of course, require packages using debconf to provide an
alternate list of conffiles that would be ignored if the use of
debconf was selected.

Bob
--
   _