Re: madison

On 01-07-17 Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 04:17:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > People in the n-m queue are not maintainers. Sponsored people can ask their
> > > sponsors.
> > Then why are they listed in the Maintainer: field for their packages?  Put
> > another way, who is the maintainer of a sponsored package?

> The sponsor is, as far as Debian is concerned. S/He's the one we trust to

Why? He just ensures that the packages meats the policy criteria,
doesn't contain any trojans or other harmful scripts/tools and then
uploads it. He won't be the one changing anything in the debian
directory of such a package, do some bugfixes on the package or contact
the upstream. That doesn't qualify him in my opinion to be called the
maintainer of this package. The maintainer is still the person he is
sponsoring. The debian maintainer that does the sponsoring, is the
mentor and sponsor, not the maintainer.

> Sponsorship is a gaping hole in our trust model.

So you want to propose that we drop immediately the sponsorship and use
the old system, where every New Maintainer has to wait until his process
had a sucessful end?

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)