Re: cramfs problems, also file(1)

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> wrote:
>
> > Which IMHO is wrong. At least the way it is done right now.  Instead debian
> > should distribute pristine sources together with recommended kernel patches
> > (in seperate packages). This way it becomes obvious what patches are applied
> > and easy to apply them to your own sources if you want to.
>
> Which is exactly what the diff file is for.

When I do apt-get install kernel-source-x.x.x, I want the file in /usr/src/ to
be pristine, not something modified.

It's ok if doing the above apt-get command also downloads(as part of the deb)
a series of patches, but the tar itself should not be modified.

It is very annoying, running apt-get, then trying to apply some patch, and
have it failed, because the kernel was already modified.