php4-gd and jpeg/gif support

Hello all,

I'm running Potato with Apache and PHP4. Now I installed php4-gd and
friends, which is supposed to add various graphics functions to PHP
scripting. The package itself says: ``This package provides a module for
handling graphics directly from PHP scripts. It supports the PNG, JPEG,
XPM and uncompressed GIF image formats and ttf fonts.''

I began to suspect the package when I noticed that there were no
dependencies on any jpeg-libs. phpinfo() shows png, but no gif/jpeg. And
yes, I did add the "ld.so" to php.ini.

The strange thing is that I cannot find *any* reference to this non
documented behaviour *anywhere* on the web. And there's no bug. Oh well,
there are two wish list items, numbers #66293 and #74283, but that seems
rather odd: it seems to me that a package that advertizes to support
JPEG, XPM, GIF, should in fact do that. Do all webmasters and
webmistresses compile their own PHP then? Maybe it's just something very
very silly that I did wrong here. What's the best thing to do? Do you
have (off topic <grin>) any advice how to perform JPEG scaling from PHP
in Potato? Are there backported php4-gd's lying around that do perform
jpeg and gif from php4-gd?

Best regards,

Valentijn
--
Valentijn Sessink - valentyn@nospam.openoffice.nl
- (yes, the nospam works, has an mx record, and I read it)