Re: /etc getting bigger

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:05, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:
> > > Note that for HURD, FSF argues that /usr shouldn't exist (or is a
> > > symlink).  Personally I think they are on crack--they haven't
> > > justified the confusion created by the change.
> >
> > Their point I guess is that this means the GNU system is complete.
> > Thus the system prefix is now root. Philosophically, it doesn't sound
> > harsh. When everday use considered however, I would prefer that
> >   / prefix means a fallback system that contains the general tools and
> >     maintenance stuff. (perhaps the more general parts of the gnu system
> > here) /usr prefix means applications.
>
> 	You are missing the point of union mounts.
>         Storing "general tools and maintenance stuff" separately
>         from "applications", and activating them in order, is
>         orthogonal from names used to refer to them.

So we have two filesystems mounted on the root directory, one for basic stuff
needed for booting and one for the rest.

Then what happens when I create a package that has some files needed for
booting and some files not needed for booting (similar to having some files
in /usr/bin and some in /sbin now).  How do I specify which of the two file
systems my files are to go in?