Re: Upgrade to kernel 2.4.* hoses system!

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:56, Andrew M.A.Cater wrote:
> I know, I should learn to RTFM. I've hosed my system a couple of times
> attempting to install kernel 2.4.5.  Anybody got a working lilo.conf
> to cope with initrd that they'd be willing to share?

In the past I have been compiling my own 2.4.x kernels without initrd support
and they have worked fine.  I have just started work on getting initrd going
on my system.  Hopefully in a few days I'll be able to provide advise on this.

> I appreciate that device names may also change. Pointers to
> exactly which FM to R gratefully received as ever.

Device names shouldn't change by default.  The kernel images that ship with
Debian have devfs compiled in but don't have the auto-mount feature turned
on.  If you boot with the kernel parameter "devfs=mount" then it'll
automatically mount devfs over /dev.  However if you have devfsd installed
then it'll create sym-links for the old device names so things should all
work.  The only problem area is the Mylex DAC960 RAID controllers which have
device names that conflict with the RAM disk device driver (AFAIK these have
not yet been solved and will prevent devfsd from doing the right thing).

If you turn on devfs then you will have to change lilo.conf, but it's a minor
change.