Re: hypothitical nonfree question

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:44:46PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> a) program X (including patches) is a derivative work of the GPLed
> program.

This is the critical judgement, and it is often far from clear.

The examples you give aren't easy to answer, and in court it would be
up to the magistrate or judge to rule whether or not X was a
derivative work of the GPLed program. I'm not aware of any adequate
precedents, and I personally doubt that you can draw a technical line
in the sand (fork+exec is OK, linking isn't): I don't think a judge
would be interested in the technical details.

Jules