Re: hypothitical nonfree question

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 09:48:11AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Lets say I am writing a frontend (call it X), to a GPL package
> (eg. gnupg), and want to be a prick and disallow commercial use. This
> runs gnupg by forking and execing it and supplying STDIN while reading
> STDOUT.
>
> Does the GPL allow this?

Yes. This is specifically covered in the gpl faq
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html). The relevant text is:

   Q. If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the
      requirements for the licenses of a plug-in.

   A. It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program
      uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are
      separate programs, so the license for the main program makes no
      requirements for them.

The situation isn't identical, but the basic idea is the same (fork and
exec == separate program, free of the restrictions of the GPL).

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua@haberman.com>