Re: BTS: howto reassign a bug

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 03:02:40PM +0200, christophe barbé wrote:

> So you said me that a global setting override the user choice.
> With xdm, I use a .Xsession where I can set my locale setting.
> With startx, I use .xinitrc.
> But with gdm, the normal way to set your locale is to choose the language
> from the language menu.
> This should work even if the /etc/environment file said "C".
> And I know that gdm works fine.

Well, I respectfully disagree. gdm has no way overriding settings in
/etc/environment, as that file is parsed by pam_env.so during the
login procedure. The same thing would happen with xdm as well. No
matter what values gdm sets LANG or LC_* to, they get overridden just
after gdm loses control of the login procedure. If you want to fix the
problem, just remove the settings from /etc/environment. Or, if you prefer
a setup file, use .gnomerc, or just set /etc/environment to your
liking.

It is true that the problem might warrant a bug report, but not to
gdm, and I couldn't instantly find out which package /etc/environment
belongs to.

Best regards,

--
Matti Airas               orthodox, ASO, SPINTCOM, TRV, BLU-114/B,
mairas@iki.fi             Time, MOSAIC, DATTA, tax, National