Re: Upgrade glitches

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 04:33:06PM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ethan Benson schrieb:
> > i think its safe to say that an /etc file in the package not listed as
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > a conffile is a error (it violates policy).
>
> No. You have to put all configuration files into /etc, but they
> don't need to be conffiles.

note i didn't say `configuration file' what i mean is if there is a
file IN THE PACKAGE that goes into /etc but is NOT marked as a
conffile that is bug, because every time the package is upgraded dpkg
WILL without ever asking overwrite that file with the one in the
package, as we have seen with quik and lynx.

configuration files that are not conffiles in /etc are ok, but those
CANNOT be in the package itself, they must be created by the
maintainer scripts or some other method (since that is the only way to
preserve admin changes).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/