Re: Strange problem with server

On Wed 27 Jun 2001 10:07, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my server lately running woody. It refuses to
> deconfigure the network during halt/reboot. It just freezes. I tracked the
> problem down to ifdown -a testing it on a running system. As soon as it
> takes down lo not much is possible anymore. In fact ifdown calls run-parts
> after taking teh device down and freezes right there. I can still run some
> commands like ls but not ps anymore. Also login won't work.
>
> This morning the machine stopped during boot time while configuring the
> network. I brought it back up in emergency mode commented out the network
> code and it booted like usual. Trying to configure the network with ifup -a
> it showed the same symptoms as with ifdown -a. But a simple ifconfig lo up
> worked.
>
> Somehow I managed to install a new kernel with unix domain sockets not as a
> module but build into the kernel (could this be the reason?) and now the
> machine booted well again. I have yet to try the reboot.
>
> I think the problem started when we switched to kernel 2.4. Actually I'm
> running 2.4.5. The kernel config is essantially the same for months (no, I
> don't know why the unix domain socket stuff was ever build as a module,
> maybe just a typo).

	I have another weird experience with network init script. My laptop runs sid
and kernels 2.4.x.

	With kernel 2.4.3 my laptop boots normally (as usual), and kernel detects
the network card, etc.
	With kernel 2.4.5 (and later kernels) ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 hangs. I've
strace'd it and it hangs in:

[...]
ioctl(4, 0x8916, 0xbffffa1c)	= 0
ioctl(4, 0x8913, 0xbffff95c)	= 0
ioctl(4, 0x8914,

	and I have to reset the laptop.

	The same trace is applicable to 2.4.3, but the program ends successfully:

[...]
ioctl(4, 0x8916, 0xbffffa1c)	= 0
ioctl(4, 0x8913, 0xbffff95c)	= 0
ioctl(4, 0x8914, 0xbffff95c)	= 0