Re: Debian Architecture Bug Squash Party

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>:
> clean:
> 	[old clean stuff]
> 	-cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> 	-cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess

This assumes that it will always be correct to copy those files, if they
exist, to the source directory. I do not think this is a valid assumption.
Consider, for example, the case when the config.{sub,guess} files are
updated in a downward incompatible manner. This may not be very likely,
but it's more than possible - just about every other development tool
has done that.

A separate "update-autoconf-stuff" target would be better, I think. Then
the updating would be controlled and the package builder can record
things into debian/changelog in a proper manner.

> Any autobuilders for a new arch will (probably ;) ) take the necessary pain
> to have an autotools-dev package that supports that architeture, even if the
> current stable/testing/unstable autotools-dev package doesn't do so yet
> (unlikely, still...).

Autobuilders could, of course, (try to) update the files even without
changes to debian/rules.

--
Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>