Re: real LSB compliance

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:10:50AM -0500, Scott M. Dier wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
>  > * LSB says that nobody's group should be called "nobody", while we have
>  >  "nogroup". Bah.
>
> Why not just refrence these two by UID/GID numerically?  Most dists use
> the same numbers.

no they don't.  redhat uses 99, debian uses 65534, as does the BSD's.

> Since init scripts in rc?.d are just links, why not have a directory
> called 'vendor' and have vendors create directories for their name of
> their company under it and put their init scripts under it.  Have the
> vendor-dirs assigned instead to give them a namespace.  Have the init
> handling scripts handle namespace collisions at the rc?.d level.  When
> removing just look for the symlink that refrences the script your
> looking for.

don't forget about file-rc, although your proposal isn't necessarily
incompatible with that...

i think a seperate directory is rather gross though.  unless you just
specify that all proprietary crap just go in /opt/packagename which is
what lsb should have done in the first place.  then this whole
packaging thing would be moot too: cd /opt && tar -zxf proprietary-crap.tar.gz

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/