Re: Re: LSB bastards

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:44:19PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Does it matter? once a Debian system is able to install any lsb-compliant RPM package,
>  lesser developers will be disposed to create a dpkg package, which is only for Debian,
> and dedicate efforts in RPM packaging. That, in a long term, brings Debian to become
> another RPM-based distro.

no it doesn't.  as it stands now hardly any upstream developers
provide .debs and many that do just ran alien on their .rpm and called
it good enough.  others make more of an effort but generally (IME)
create shoddy packages because they just don't know what they are
doing.  not a slight to the upstream developer, i am a firm believer
that upstream should not be involved in making packages at all, be
they .rpm or .deb.  packaging is the distro's job, not upstreams'.

whenever you find software not packaged for debian, package it, or
request another debian developer package it.  if its Free it will
probably be packaged (Resistence is Futile, you will be packaged...).
if its non-free who cares! ;-)

we don't need no stinken lsb to make packages for us, we can make them
ourselves and do a better job anyway.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/