dpkg -s man page description

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 06:33:18PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>        dpkg -s | --status package-name ...
>               Report  status of specified package. This just dis­
>               plays the entry in  the  installed  package  status
>               database.
>
> This seems fairly clear(?).

After reading the description (even now, knowing what the switch
does), it still doesn't tell anything, since the terminology is
misleading. Furthermore, the two sentences describe the same thing,
with the latter just being more obfuscated than the previous one. Term
'status' is used to describe two separate things in dpkg. dpkg -l
gives a status column:

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed

This lead me to think of the -s switch as something to do with that
information.

A better explanation might go somehow like this:

"Display specific information of an installed package, such as its
installed size, maintainer, version, dependencies, and description."

That way the description would probably better use the terminology
familiar to the users (as opposed to dpkg developers).

Hm. Maybe I should file a bug report on this...

Best regards and thanks for the food of thought :-),

--
Matti Airas               CBM, NSLEP, VHF, J-6, remailers, Small Pox,
mairas@iki.fi             redheads, Salsa, FLETC, NAVCOMPARS, quiche,