Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

hi,

it seems that the talk goes enlightened, it's good.

> That said the LSB does not _FORCE_ any Linux dist to abandon their own
work.
> It simply requires the dist to allow rpms to be installed easily.  alien
does
> this for most people.

Yes, it does not _force_, but it does _imply_ that rpm is the de facto
standard
(eh, defect-o? :p) of package in linux. pretty sad.

> RPM is not inherently bad.  RH (and others) simply do not have a common
> standards set that must be followed like Debian does.  There are a few
places
> where each format (rpm and deb) surpass the other.  However most of the
> perceived differences are actually in the _use_ of the system and not a
lack of
> features.  However, Debian will not just give up on dpkg and no one has
told us
> that we must.

the thing that makes deb beloved is its link with the apt-get tools.
(just wondering, apt have anything to do with aptendodytes sp., penguin's
scientific name?)

--
k h a o s * lamer
new name, new look, new ftp: