Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 04:01:59PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 04:43:32PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > I agree with you 100% -- except you left out a few points which explain how
> > they made the decision.
> >
> > a) there are 3 established dists that use rpm plus numerous small ones
>
> so?  *ALL* dists include ar, tar and gzip.
>
> > b) most proprietary software, if released for linux, is released as rpms already
>
> so?
>
> > c) tied to b) companies like to deal with companies, RH provides this
> > d) as part of a) there are like 3 (maybe as high as 6 or more) to 1 more people
> > using rpm than deb
>
> these are not good reasons.  proprietary software developers from what
> ive seen make the WORST packages of anyone, even the crap you find in
> /contrib directories.  LSB would have been far better off defining
> .tar.gz as the package format, and that proprietary crap go in its own
> directory in /opt.  since proprietary developers never even come close
> to following any sort of filesystem standard keeping them in a self
> contained mess is the only sensible thing to do.

i agree with you. i'd add that they cannot be able to provide correct
dependencies for all the linux system, so it is better they do not even claim ones,
as tar.gz is very good at.

> > yes we all dislike rpm for our own reasons.  however the decision that the lsb
> > made does make sense.  The lsb is not meant to help you or me.  It is meant to
> > help companies support linux.  companies understand RH and rpm better than they
> > do debian.  Other than Progeny I can not name any company that supports Debian
> > today.  Do a quick count of the ones that support RH or RH based dists (plus
> > SuSE and its bastard rpms).
>
> and none of this is any reason for us to abandon our packaging system,
> we should provide alien as always and ignore this.
>
> --
> Ethan Benson
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50