Re: /usr/bin/expiry

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 04:23:18AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 02:11:24PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > what does /usr/bin/expiry do?
>
> man expiry
>
> > manual page is not really heplful, command is setgid root (huh?)
>
> i think the man page is clear... it checks if your password is
> expired.

well, is it supposed to print something or what?
(that was the first thing I tried: to set up expiry date and
run /usr/bin/expiry, no output)
Ok, looking at the sources now...
you must be at least Password Expiration Warning before
expiration date to have the warning printed. That is not
illogical (though I'd still prefer to report the expiration date
always), but could have been documented.

And what does -f switch do? Is "It is callable as a normal user command."
applicable to this switch too?

Manpage could really be more clear.

> > I assume it should be setgid shadow, because it might want
> > to read /etc/shadow
>
> it is setgid shadow:
>
> $ ll /archive/chroot/woody/usr/bin/expiry
> -rwxr-sr-x    1 root     shadow      17312 Jun  2 20:48 /archive/chroot/woody/usr/bin/expiry
>
> there was a bug in the shadow package a few weeks ago where it was
> setgid root, that has been fixed for awhile now.

duh, I should be upgrading more often :-)