Re: More on mutt losing its keymap

dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu writes:

> That's what I get for being a command-line freak: everyone else is using
> xterms and xterm termcaps seem to work fine between linux, irix and
> solaris. I guess I have to sit down and set up linux termcaps on our sun/sgi
> boxen -- using vt100 as I do now is clearly sub-optimal.

Of course, another option would be to modify your linux terminfo entry
on your machine so that terminfo treats your console similar to the
way it treats vt100; clearly, the console will respond to those same
codes and I'm a bit surprised that the console's terminfo entry is so
different from vt100.  The only reason I can see is that the ncurses
maintainers decided that the Cursor/Application mode switching which
vt* terminals are set up to do was Sick And Wrong (tm).  However,
changing the linux console's entries to the "right" thing while the
rest of the world still used the mode switching leads to problems like
this.

Also, since you have made this change to your linux terminfo entries,
there isn't really a problem with using vt100 control codes
elsewhere.  There might still be an issue with the numeric keypad; if
you encounter it and it's a problem I'd append \e> to the smkx and
rmkx string definitions.  (That'll force the keypad to be numbers or
arrow keys, depending on numlock - I don't think that there are any
applications that use the keypad as keypad keys and that go through
terminfo entries).

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the linux
terminfo entry should have smkx and rmkx strings that set the cursor
keys properly.