Re: debian releases before buzz

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 06:54:20PM +0200, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:20:28PM -0000, Pawel Wiecek wrote:
> > On Jun 25,  2:01pm, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> > > Does anybody has releases previous to buzz?
> > > archive.debian.org has >= buzz only.
> >
> > I do have a copy of 0.93r6 if you want :^)
>
> I do, please :)
> It should be on archive.d.o IMO. All major 0.1 - 1.1 should be there
> (it can't be very big - max 1GB ?).

There were not so many releases in between.  You can read about it in
/usr/share/doc/debian-history/html/index.html, if you installed it.

I remember some details that I could not find in the debian history text,
so I'm throwing it out here on debian-devel for review.  It is all IIRC
of course.

1.0 was rather less than more a release, some unattentive silver disc
vendor took a snapshot of unstable at the wrong time.  It is since then
that debian uses names for its releases, to not confuse dumb vendors
with version numbers of yet-to-be-released releases.  It was the idea
to stop using the name after the release was officially numbered,
but people like the names better so that stuck.

The names were picked from the movie "Toy Story", one of the first
entirely digitally "shot" movies for a big audience.  Bruce Perens
worked on it as a programmer.  He was a big mover and shaker in debian
at the time, and the characters are cute enough so they were deemed good
mascottes.  The only problem is that some day debian will run out of toy
story characters, but I expect that long before that moment, someone will
notice the license problems and put the debian-installer in non-free.

I think 1.1 (buzz) was the first "official" release.  Also, if I am not
mistaken, one can install buzz and upgrade to current unstable without
a reboot being strictly necessary, users can even remain logged on
(although the behaviour of commands might be different at times).  :-)
If you start earlier, with any of the 0.x debians , a reboot is necessary
to properly complete the switch from a.out to elf executable format.

There was also an "oficial" release, when linux systems labs, a silver
disc vendor, sent some release testers two discs labeled:

  "Oficial" Debian 1.3

The quoting is theirs, not mine.

Cheers,

Joost