Re: traceroute /usr/bin -> /usr/sbin

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 06:12:36AM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:

> We are the cult of the true $PATH.  We give ritual meaning to our cultural
> identity by burning the holy trace-roots in the sacred s-bin.  Meanwhile,
> we endlessly chant the songs of the ancestors, who have always known
> where the trace-root must be dug up.

LOL, good one :)
I just don't see why traceroute cannot simply be put in /usr/bin and
a symlink (or other such measures like a wrapper) placed in /usr/sbin.
Would this not make both partys happy?
We would then be FHS compliant and using the symlinks is permitted.
Why should we have it in /sbin just because a lot of other UNIX OS' have
theirs in the wrong place.

I find it repulsive to think that we would even consider making a
release that 'claims' to support the FHS but so blatantly does not.

Lets get it sorted and get FHS compliant instead of talking about it!

Thanks

Peter