Re: /etc getting bigger

    Eray> As my root partition is filling up, I wonder why sysconfdir
    Eray> has to be /etc and not /usr/etc for programs where prefix is
    Eray> /usr. Wouldn't that be more compliant with GNU build
    Eray> conventions? Just out of curiosity.

Yes, sort of.  However, /usr is a special prefix; people expect
software installed there to have configuration data in /etc.  There
used to be /usr/etc in the BSD 4.3 days and it was generally regarded
as a bad idea.  I don't think it included any data though.

Note that for HURD, FSF argues that /usr shouldn't exist (or is a
symlink).  Personally I think they are on crack--they haven't
justified the confusion created by the change.

You should make sure that no packages are sticking stuff that should
go in datadir in /etc.