Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 02:34:49PM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> Adam McKenna writes:
>
> > Traceroute is an admin tool, but not all admins have root, which is
> > WHY I suggested the default ownership/permissions be changed.
>
> traceroute has been used, for legitimate technical reasons, by users
> who are not in any way administrators of the machine it is installed
> on, for years.

What you mean is, that it's been used by lusers who have no business running
it.  The fact that they (or you) think they are using it legitimiately is
immaterial.  If you're giving random lusers shells, it's bad enough.  If you
want them to be able to run traceroute, set up a traceroute cgi.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>