Re: traceroute /usr/bin -> /usr/sbin

>* Brian Russo (brian@entropy.net) spake thusly:
>> rationale: consistency
>> .. with the rest of the world, not some document.
Policy say we must follow this document not the rest of the world.

>> freebsd: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>> osf1-4: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>> netbsd: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>> joe's unix: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>> debian/gnu: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>
>solaris 7: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>solaris 8: /usr/sbin/traceroute
>redhat 6.2: /usr/sbin/traceroute

and in  /dos/Windows/tracert.exe on 98% of the computers in the world...

Perhaps the misunderstanding come from the different idea we have about what
are our users' machines:

1) The machine is a personnal computer with only a few users,  who have root
access.
or
2) The machine is a server with lot of users, and only admin have root access.

We have to support both cases, of course.

If we consider "admin must have {/usr}/sbin in their path, not normal users",
it may make sense in case 2) but not in case 1). In case 1) we must help
people using the root account only when it is really neccessary.

If admin want to forbid users to use traceroute, using dpkg-statoverride is
better than expecting users are not smart enough to put {/usr}/sbin in their
path.

Long live to this already too long thread...

Bill.