Re: A tool to help making (build) dependencies right.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:57:08PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:13:02PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:58:13AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > > Actually, it's at http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/genbuilddeps/
> > >
> > > There is definitely value in merging the two; they each have different
> > > strengths and weaknesses.  I might try to do so at some point, but
> > > please feel free to go ahead with it.
> >
> > genbuilddeps seem better for build-dependencies, but depcheck is more flexible
> > and can also be used for run-time dependencies, also it lack the libvfork trick
> > (but it is easy to merge that.)
>
> Do you want to go ahead and do so?  I'd be happy to incorporate it
> into devscripts (which seems a sort of logical place to put it, rather
> than in a separate package).

Ben Collins' genbuilddeps deserves really to be in devscript (or in another
package). For depcheck, It is probably too soon.

Essentially the code do the same thing but the interface is different.
genbuilddeps is targeted at build dependencies, it just build the package in
which it is run. It is probably not a good idea to change the interface to
allows it to check for run-time dependencies, so we can keep depcheck (or
whatever name you want to give it) for this task.

On the difference in the code:

the strace code is the same but genbuilddeps use a libvfork.so to protect from
vfork which is a good thing.

The package ownership of files is resolved by dpkg-perl and hashs in
genbuilddeps and by sorted lists + regular dpkg -S in depcheck. It is not clear
which is faster...

Depcheck has code to parse build-essential and it is not hard-coded.

Is there a devscript CVS ?

Does someone succeed using `auto-apt debuild` for build-dependencies (without
being root) ? How ?

Cheer,

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org> Please CC!