Re: locale name standard

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> [please cc me, as indicated in headers]

>   The optional codeset fragment is a character set or encoding
>   identifier. Currently defined values are ISO8859-1, ISO8859-2 [more
>   here]. Variant spellings like iso-8859-1, while accepted by some
>   applications for compatibility, are deprecated. The default codeset
>   is [what?]

The default codeset must be a locale-defined one, so that defaults make
sense.

Also, I'd say that character sets and encodings that have a "Preferred MIME
name" entry at the IANA tables MUST be recognized by that name (recognizing
additional aliases is a good idea, though).

See: http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

  Henrique Holschuh