Re: New debian-devel archive

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:40:49AM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 04:07:35PM -0600, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > Yes, we did have threads, but we later changed out minds for a few reasons:
> >
> > [removed all the great features.. sorry]
> >
> > All that said though, you're nearly our first user so if you still want that
> > feature in a month, we'd be happy to re-add it. :-) It'll probably work just
> > like conversations but with a tree like layout in the rows.
>
> after seeing (and knowing to look for them) it looks even better, but
> still, i miss the threads. the conversations view is great, and it
> allows a fast view on a thread (although you need to know the system
> before you get to use these powerful features)

Actually, (*sheepish grin*) the '+'s were disabled until about a half-hour
ago when someone pointed out I'd accidently turned them off, so you didn't
notice them b/c they weren't there.

> But with threads, you get a quick view which is a reply to which
> message, i still miss that, small indent/colors/something to note that
> this is a reply to an earlier message to make it clear and this really
> would be a killer app.

Of course the problem with indenting is it forces me to break the
chronological order of the messages...

Right now, in the message view, there is supposed to be in-reply-to and
follow-ups links, but it seems this is not working.  It's now on our bug
wall. This is what we intended to do to cover the 'who answered this email?'
or 'who is this replying to?' use cases.

I'll try to fix it in our next build, but that's tomorrow and I have lots to
code, so, you never know. :-)

As I said, if in one month you still want threading (after we fix those
missing links bug), we'll add it. I think you might start to like
conversation view more though; I started to after a few weeks. ;-)

Maybe this features thread should be moved to discuss@javien.org /
http://www.javien.org/forum/index.php? I am not sure the debian-devel people
really want to hear about speculative feature additions / changes to
software that's not in the debian main - yet. I do have .debs made. :-) (No
one here is an official debian developer so we haven't dupload 'em - besides
they probably violate debian policy on a few points I don't know)

Re: moving thread: Besides, I'm itching to get a natively hosted forum
mailing list to have people subscribed to it. ;-) ;-)

> ps. does it handle images/attachments?

If by handles them you mean drops them, then yes. ;-) More seriously, we do
at present parse the mime using libc-client - this is how we drop
attachments. It is our intention in v3.0 to use XML for storing messages and
XSLT to render them to html. In that release, we will add a full-scale
attachments feature. Right now however, it just drops them and leaves a
pretty: '-------------- Attachment Omitted ---------------' in place.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra - Linux Developer