Re: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:58:46PM -0400, Rene Weber wrote:
> I don't think Debian wants to say that we will embrace standards
> except where we disagree and in those cases we will silently ignore
> what the standard says.

debian has *always* said and done that, and always will.

debian is a real world practice, not ivory tower theory.

it's the job of any implementation team to interpret the standards and
do something practical and useful with them. that will always mean
tossing out or ignoring the stupid or impractical bits and reconciling
conflicts between different standards, as well as conflicts between any
standard and existing code/practice.

slavishly following a policy document even where it is wrong or broken
is the work of foolish automatons, not creative hackers.

free software and the net have been built on rough consesus and working
code.

FHS is the "rough consensus", Debian is the "working code".

there never will be a 100% match between the theory and the practice.
it's not even an admirable goal to strive for 100% because that falsely
pre-supposes that the theory is perfect and can not benefit at all from
exposure to real world conditions. it should be obvious how likely that is.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.